Saturday, June 18, 2011

Baby Beluga

June 14, 2011
Busy Bee Camp- Day 3

I hope that everyone is familiar with the musical delight of Baby Beluga. If you aren’t, you definitely should be.  I have provided a link below so you too can fall in love with this piece of musical artistry. Anyway, everyday at camp we dedicate a half hour to singing songs like Baby Beluga and Peanut Butter and Jelly.  I noticed, though, that one of our Busy Bees covers his ears for the entire duration of song time. That day I noticed that his hands had an excessive amount of paint on them from the art project that I headed, so I pulled him away from song time so we could wash his hands.  I asked Aaron, “Do you like singing Baby Beluga?” And his response was, “No, it scares me.” As terrible as it sounds, I initially thought it was kind of funny. It’s Baby Beluga! I know. I’m a terrible person. But I realized that he was totally and completely serious.  Remember how I said that my cousins briefed me on some of the Busy Bees? Well, I remember just who this Busy Bee was from their descriptions.  My cousin believes that Aaron may have some sort of sensory problem.  He has shared the fact that music makes him anxious and angry, so he is allowed to cover his ears and sit separately from the rest of the Busy Bees during our singing sessions.  I will add, though, that Aaron is one of my favorite campers.  He is the most articulate 4 year old that I have ever met. He has a very impression vocabulary, and some of things that come out of his mouth just crack me up! For example, the other day during story time my cousin was verbally disciplining a 2 year old who would not sit still on the story time rug. She was telling this Busy Bee that he was too old to be acting like that. Aaron’s response, which he stood up and said in front of the entire camp, was, “But he is only, like, 2 years old.” This is just one of many cases where Aaron has made a statement or questioned the current situation. Aaron may only be 4 years old, but he is more thoughtful and pensive than many adults that I know.

Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK1sF6kv0l8

1 comment:

  1. maybe if baby beluga would have been around when we were babies, i would have not had that time in my life where i questioned their existence...

    ReplyDelete