Sunday, June 19, 2011

Bobby's Boo Boo

June 16, 2011
Busy Bee Camp- Day 5

Remember my main man Bobby? He is the little guy who has the fascination with cell phones. Well, my boy Bobby is very accident prone.  He is a two year old, almost three, so his coordination is still coming together.  I heard that Bobby had a wipeout on Monday and skinned one of his knees.  Today, again, Bobby took a tumble.  While we were walking back from the park, Bobby tripped over a tree root that was protruding from the sidewalk.  Bobby got back up, like a trooper, but he was a little shaken by the incident.  He didn’t bring on the full waterworks, but he did shed a few tears and got really quiet. When we got back to Busy Bee Camp and were sitting outside on a set of benches, I noticed that Bobby’s knee, it was the other knee that he had not injured on Monday, was bleeding and scraped.  Bobby’s eyes were glassy from the tears, and they caught mine.  Bobby said, “Don’t look at me. Don’t look at it.” And he started to cry.  My heart immediately broke. He was so ashamed of his accident.  It was so hard for me to not look at him.  Bobby then tried to scoot behind another Busy Bee on the bench so that he wouldn’t be seen.  I pointed out his injury to the other counselors, but Bobby wouldn’t allow anyone to tend to his knee.  He said that he wanted to wait until he got home to put a band aid on his wound.  One of counselors told Bobby’s mother about his accident, and she said that Bobby gets really sensitive when he gets hurt.  The whole thing just broke my heart.  I could not stand looking at his big, glassy brown eyes, and his uncovered wound, and not be able to do anything for him.  Bobby’s boo boo may have been more devastating for me than for little Bobby. It was heartbreaking.  

No comments:

Post a Comment